Saturday 4 May 2013

PRESS TO PLAY


PRESS TO PLAY : This is the absolute nadir of Paul McCartney's long industrial career. If you think "Wild Life" or "McCartney 2" was bad, you haven't listen to this yet. The mentioned two I can at the very least listen to now and then but this one I just could not mustered myself to do so. Assisted by Eric Stewart of 10cc and also co writing a few songs with McCartney, this is one experimental venture that went horribly wrong. Apart from his partnership with John Lennon, Paul was always better working on his own. The only think I find remotely pleasant about this whole mess is the cover which in someway reminds me of John Lennon's "Double Fantasy." I've have the original record and for many years I couldn't bring myself to buy the CD. I finally got a friend to buy it for me in return for a favour. Strangely, as I listened to this again after so many years, I found it more tolerable than when I first heard it. I was just about to rip it apart recalling the torturous feeling I have the first time but it's much more tolerable as I am going through it again. Just not memorable at all.

Strange Hold ( McCartney / Stewart ) : This is a pleasant enough tune. typically of any Paul's opening song in his album. It doesn't offer a clue to the horrors that was to follow. I am still listening.

Good Times Coming / Feel The Sun ( McCartney ) : This is the only song that I can really  feel for. I have a thing for Paul's mini songs that he likes to places in medley of two or more songs together.

Talk More Talk ( McCartney ) : And so the horrors begin here. I like to play my music loud but I wouldn't play this loud. I be too embarrass. Though it's tolerable listening to it in a low volume. It's an uttering silly song.

Footprints ( McCartney / Stewart ) : A supposedly trademark Paul McCartney's ballad but the magic is clearly missing here.An embarrassment to his past records of the balladry kind.

Only Love Remains ( McCartney ) : I maintained that Paul works better by himself as this ballad shows. At least it stops me from pulling out my hair. I detected a slight hint of Paul's magic here and I say that  the 10cc guy should scram.

Press ( McCartney ) :  A song with great potential that never really takes off. Frustrated at the lost opportunity. He should have work more on this.

Pretty Little Head ( McCartney / Stewart ) : A piece of music that goes nowhere and frankly I don't really care. I can listen to this a zillion time and I will still not be able to remember the song.

Move Over Buster ( McCartney / Stewart ) : The music is decent enough but the lyrics leaves much to be desire. Just not memorable.

Angry ( McCartney / Stewart ) : This is John Lennon territory but John Lennon he sure ain't and this is downright embarrassment. The music accompanying is good but for once Paul's singing is way out of his depth. Paul is capable of lots of range but this is just not it. Makes me cringe.

However Absurd ( McCartney / Stewart ) :  Another piece of music that should stayed on the cutting floor.

Write Away ( McCartney / Stewart ) : Yet another insult to the ear. Really how did Paul ever got so low. Not totally bad but just not memorable.

It's Not True ( McCartney ) : This is Paul as I like him to be, by himself. One of the slightly better song here. It's like I am listening to this songs for the first time.

Tough On A Tightrope ( McCartney / Stewart ) : Run of the mill stuff that just doesn't make any impact at all.  Clearly Paul seems to be losing it.


BONUS TRUCK

Spies Like Us ( McCartney ) :  Paul's theme song for the movie of the same name. Not one of his greatest hits but a decent enough single.

Once Upon A Long Ago [ Long Version ] ( McCartney ) : A Christmas single. Thought not as popular or immediate as his other Christmas single 'Wonderful Christmastime', this is quite listenable and it's also the longer version than the original single released.

DOP : 3rd December 1998. A gift from a friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment