Monday 6 May 2013

OFF THE GROUND


OFF THE GROUND : Paul McCartney's 9th solo album released in 1993 as a follow up to "Flowers In The Dirt." Although featuring almost the same musicians as "Flowers In The Dirt" and it even have Elvis Costello collaborating on a few track, this album was less warmly received by the public. Admittedly it was considerably weaker in material. The collaboration with Elvis Costello were left overs from the last album and sound half cooked and incomplete. Not one of his best albums.

Off The Ground ( McCartney ) : Paul McCartney have years of experience of writing this kind of song. Fairly nice melody, nice singing and nice musicianship and we have a potential good track. Problem is we've heard this million times before and this is after Paul McCartney we are talking about. Should we expect less.

Looking For Changes ( McCartney ) : An uptempo track that is fairly entertaining. No
thing more.

Hope Of Deliverance ( McCartney ) : The single from this album and clearly the best track here. The kind of song that struck you on first hearing. When people think of this album, this is the song they will remember.

Mistress And Maid ( McCartney / Manus ) : Ordinary songs composed by extraordinary men. I maintained that apart from John Lennon, Paul McCartney work best alone. Not the worst of track but neither will it have me rushing to press the repeat button either.

I Owe It All To You ( McCartney ) : Paul singing in his clearest of voice but the material is lacking somehow. Just doesn't have that something extra found in his earlier works.

Biker Like An Icon ( McCartney ) : If John Lennon is still around, Paul will probably be disowned by writing silly songs like this. Oh, how the mighty have fallen. I tolerate this only because I still have some respect for the man.

Peace In The Neighbourhood ( McCartney ) :  There are so many forgettable songs here. I can listen to this album a few more times but problem is once I step out of the house and I heard the same songs on the radio, I still wouldn't have a clue that I actually know the song. This is one of those songs.

Golden Earth Girl ( McCartney ) :  This piano driven song have an intro that slightly reminds me of one of his great "Maybe I'm Amazed" and that's all it have going for it on this track. Offered a change of pace to an otherwise guitar driven album.

The Lovers That Never Was ( McCartney / Manus ) : This is slightly better than the average. At least it offered a glimpse of the Paul that I used to love.Here he showcased his 'Lady Madonna' vocal style.

Get Out Of My Way ( McCartney ) : A jolly and joyful song this one is quite enjoyable but below average for Paul McCartney,

Winedark Open Sea ( McCartney ) : At last a fine satisfying ballad from Paul until almost the end of the album. Seems a little late in coming for redemption. This track does reminds me of the old Paul McCartney.

C'mon People ( McCartney ) : Yet another average track. There are actually not a really bad tracks here, only lack of memorable songs. I was on the verge of drifting to dream land while listening to this. Paul did a

DOP : 2nd June 1998.


No comments:

Post a Comment