Thursday 9 May 2013

DRIVING RAIN




DRIVING RAIN : After the critically acclaimed back to form "Flaming Pie," and just when I thought Paul have got his mojo back, he came up with this dumper of an album. Maybe it was just me, it was getting good reviews but the sales was just the opposite. It was his lowest selling album in his homeland. Most of the songs here were inspired by his then wife but soon to be divorced, Heather who was also the main subject of one of the song here. Maybe there's something to do with her. It took me a few years after the release of this CD, before I bought it. I wasn't really missing much. Still, all is not lost. As said before, no Paul McCartney album can be a complete loss. There's bound to be a gem or two hidden somewhere.

Lonely Road ( McCartney ) : Surprise, surprise, a ballad to start off his album. The first time I believe since the short but sweet 'Venus And Mars' that mingled into the hard rocking "Rockshow." many years ago. Still, a fair decent track here.
The much better alternative cover

From A Lover To A Friend ( McCartney ) : Another ballad and another decent track. Paul still haven't sang yet and I've yet to pull at my hair.

She's Given Up Talking ( McCartney ) : Third ballad in a row. Is Paul getting mellow and forgotten how to rock when he's in love. It didn't happened when he was with Linda.

Driving Rain ( McCartney ) : The title track and title tracks are almost always assumed to be good. This one is just average. The lyrics are laughable. '1,2,3,4,5, let's go for a drive,6,7,8,9,10, let's go there and back again.....' anyone...? Still, forget the lyric, this is still a listenable track. Rock critics would never accept this but I ain't no critic, I am just a music lover.

I Do ( McCartney ) : Paul at his wistful mood. Sounded out quite fine till he decided to raised his voice a note higher which don't quite work. Could have had the potential to be anther 'I Will', his more convincing ode to Linda.

Tiny Bubble ( McCartney ) : An average song boosted only by Paul McCartney's mastery and skills.

Magic ( McCartney ) : I don't know. Maybe it's just me but it sure sounds like the same song as 'Tiny Bubble.' You could have fooled me.

Your Way ( McCartney ) : Another slowie albeit a better sounding one. Clearly, Heather is doing things to Paul and it's not too good at all.

Spinning On An Axis ( McCartney / McCartney ) : Yet another average track here. His son, James just managed to get him slightly back on track but clearly Heather is the one in charge here. I like the musical backing though.

About You ( McCartney ) :  An much missed uptempo track. Heck after four snail paced average sounding ballads, any uptempo songs would sound good. And in this case, good.

Heather ( McCartney ) : A almost instrumental ode to his then Lady Love. In his long and winding career, Paul have recorded many instrumentals but this is not one of his more memorable one.

Back In The Sunshine Again ( McCartney/ McCartney- ) : Clearly Paul need to search somewhere else for inspiration other than Heather who just may turned out to be his Yoko Ono. At least Yoko inspired great music from John Lennon. I see no sunshine here at all. James McCartney as his son should have the balls to tell his daddy if his song is not up to his usual standard.
.
Your Loving Flame ( McCartney ) : Such a pain to listen to. Oh, Paul....

Riding Into Jaipur ( McCartney ) : Rather lamb sounding Indian inspired song. George Harrison was clearly the master at this.

Rinse The Raindrops ( McCartney ) : Oh this is terrible. And I can't even sleep through this.

Hidden Track

Freedom ( McCartney ) : I don't care what the critics say. I loved this song. Written at the spur of the moment after witnessing the 911 from a plane he was travelling in. It was honest and it have a killer chorus. This track was inserted at the last minute so the title was not on the sleeve. Don't know about the critics and the sceptics but I am grateful for the inclusion of this song.



DOP : 11th NOVEMBER 2008.

No comments:

Post a Comment