Saturday 4 May 2013

FLOWERS IN THE DIRT


FLOWERS IN THE DIRT : I was rather wary of Paul McCartney's new studio album after the awful "Press To Play." This album was rather well received by fans and critics alike but it was just so so for me. A vast improvement over his last studio release no doubt but still nowhere near "Band On The Run' or "Venus And Mars." Although he was no John Lennon, Elvis Costello was still a better collaborator than Eric Stewart. 


My Brave Face ( McCartney / Manus ) : The first single and the kind of song that Paul can write in his sleep. Wonder what he needs Elvis Costello for. Kinda reminds of me 'Getting Closer' from Wings's final album "Back To The Egg." A solid track nevertheless.

Rough Ride ( McCartney ) : This is a great track in the great McCartney tradition.. Seems Paul have not lost his musical gift after all. Totally enjoyable..

The other Elvis
You Want Her Too ( McCartney / Manus ) : Hate to say this. Although most critics were raving about this track, I find it a little too force. Elvis is trying too hard to be John but John Lennon he is not so this is just an average track for me.

Distractions ( McCartney ) : A McCartney great ballad wanna be but unfortunately it almost borders on the embarrassing. Sounds like Paul is singing to himself under his breath. Absolutely not to be associated with his legendary classics.

We Got Married ( McCartney ) : Another run of the mill McCartney stuff. Not as bad as when I first heard it. Tolerable. The guitar interlude is great though.

Put It There ( McCartney ) : A soft gently folksy ballad that restored my faith in Paul McCartney. Yup, the man still have it in him if he tries hard or bothers enough.

Figure Of Eight ( McCartney ) : I like the musical backing more than Paul's vocal here. He have a great band here but I found his singing here quite a put on. Again, funnily enough, I use to hate this song when I first heard it but it's a totally different experience now. I almost like it.

This One ( McCartney ) : If I have doubt about liking 'Figure Of Eight,' this one I definitely like. A solid rocker in the best McCartney tradition. Loved it the first time I heard it and loved it more now that I've revisit the song. It was a single release.

Don't Be Careless Love ( McCartney / Manus ) : One of their lesser duet. Two greats together and they came up with this sorry excuse of a song. Come on, please please us OK.......

That Day Is Done ( McCartney / Manus ) : This is a much better collaboration. More worthy of their combined credibility. Sounded a bit forced but nevertheless still listenable.

How Many People ( McCartney ) : A reggae throw away. Offensives only to his reputation but I'll live through this. Even at this time, Paul's filters are still quite listenable. Thing is with Paul McCartney, you expect memorable, not just listenable.

Motor Of Love ( McCartney ) : Was surprised at this track. I've always remember this track as an uptempo but it turned out to be an average ballad. Old age must surely be creeping up on me.

Ou Est Le Soleil ( McCartney ) : A mindless piece of musical adventure that's may be good for the dance floor but not for the ear.

BONUS TRACKS

Back On My Feet ( McCartney / Manus ) : A decent collaboration but not memorable at all.

Loveliest Thing ( McCartney ) : Just when I was about to give up, Paul slipped us this gem of a song, and I have plain totally forgotten about it. The kind of great stuff that Paul used to write.



DOP : 11th December 1996.

No comments:

Post a Comment