Saturday 4 May 2013

CHOBA B CCCP THE RUSSIAN ALBUM



CHOBA B CCCP THE RUSSIAN ALBUM : This album was initially released exclusively only in the U.S.S.on vinyl in 1988 but due to popular demands and the constant black market release of this disc, Paul finds it make common sense to finally make it available on CD worldwide. More like a companion piece to John Lennon's "Rock 'n' Roll" album, this one sounds more spontaneous rather than committed rock interpretation.. Still after the torturous last few albums, this is good news. At least it allowed me to catch my breath and retained the respect for the man. All the tracks are good with some greats here and there. A solid CD well worth the money spend.

Kansas City ( Leiber / Stoller ) : I've never really like this song when I first heard it from The Beatles. Maybe it was too different and loud for my tender ear. Here it managed to holds up its head  much better then when I first heard it and I enjoyed it too.

Twenty Flight Rock ( Cochran / Fairchild ) : The song that got Paul McCartney into The Beatles. I always love the rock and roll bass line playing in the background and this one is awesome. Though I don't play this CD as much as the other. I know a classic when i hear one. Great stuff.

Lawdy Miss Clawdy ( Price ) :  A piano driven song that was first heard from Jerry Lee Lewis. Paul's version has less the fire and the intensity of the original.

I'm In Love Again ( Domino /  Bartholomew )  : Paul McCartney's playful kind of singing here can't fail to raise a smile and the constant nodding of your head to the infecious melody. One of the highlights.

Bring It On Home To Me ( Cooke ) : John Lennon did this in his "Rock 'n' Roll" album. Maybe I am biased but I prefer the former's version. Not that Paul's version is bad. Just a preference between apples and oranges.

Lucille ( Penniman / Collins ) : Paul did this as one of The Beatles on "Live In The BBC" as an up and coming band, as a nod to The Everly Brothers who were in the audience. Here he sings it with much more grace and confidence and comes up with a winner. The backing was first rate.

Don't Get Much Around Here Anymore ( Ellington /  Russell ) : Wasn't really aware that this was a rock song. It was better suited by crooners like Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin and the likes. But Paul managed to out crooner the pack and packed this with a rockier sound and I bet he sounds better than those old crooners. I love it.

I'm Gonna Be A Wheel Someday ( Domino /  Bartholomew / Hayes ) : I thought I was listening to Jive Bunny in the opening bar. A nice track.

That's All Right, Mama ( Crudup ) : The Beatles did this too in "Live At The BBC." Paul McCartney must be feeling nostalgia and it's not bad thing.

Summertime ( Gershwin ) : Paul's version of this standard seems rather tame. He could have make this another 'Hey Jude' experience but probably he is just enjoying himself and take take as a jam session. I enjoy it too so who cares.

Ain't That A Shame ( Domino / Bartholomew ) : John Lennon did this too on "Rock 'n' Roll." and John's version is more intense and urgent compared to this. And yeah I prefer that other version. Maybe John is a better rocker than Paul or was that just me.

Crackin'Up : This was not included on the original album. I know not why but this is a great track. First time I heard it, I fell hard for it. I'll be real pissed if this was left off.

Just Because ( Shelton /  Robin ) : I thought this was the track on John Lennon's "Rock 'n' Roll" but it wasn't and I was glad. John's version on that record was beyond great. It was absolutely awesome. I would surely seemed biased if I go for that version too. Anyway, this different song is great too. A keeper.

Midnght Special ( Trad. arranged by Paul McCarney ) :  If you listen to this sub consciously, you might be forgiven if you thought it was some other song. It doesn't sounds quite like 'Midnight Special' but still not a bad version. Anyway, this song really belongs to Creedence Clearwater Revival. Listen to their version and you don't need to listen to any others versions.

DOP : 1st December 1996.

No comments:

Post a Comment