Sunday 12 May 2013

KISSES ON THE BOTTOM




KISSES IN THE BOTTOM :  Paul McCartney did a Rod Stewart here. Recording a CD of great standards that he first encountered way back when he was a teen and this CD was also the first album that he did not play any instrumentals. Actually Ringo Starr was the first Beatles or the first popular artist who did this kind of album. Remember "Sentimental Journey." What is it that The Beatles haven't started first. Anyway, this was the Deluxe Version with 3 additional tracks. Of the 16 tracks here, all were covers except for 3 originals. While one was top notched, the second one was unremarkable and the third was a remake of his own 'Baby's Request' from his album with Wings' "Back To The Egg,' given a brand new version. Unfortunately, well received this album may be for most but it's just not for me. The best tracks are his own originals which led me to believe Paul McCartney was always better when he was writing his own songs. They are way too many ballads here. He should have added some uptempo songs to even up the pace of the album. Being as it is, this album is a set back for me after his trilogy of great albums.

I'm Gonna Sit Right Down And Write Myself A Letter ( Ahlert / Young ) : Paul sure sounds funny here. If I have heard this on the radio, I wouldn't have guess it was him. Boring.

Home [ When Shadows Falls ] ( Van Steeden / Clarkson / Clarkson ) : I'm not sure what to make of this but it's definitely a better choice than a sleeping pill.

It's Only A Paper Moon ( Arlen / Harburg / Rose ) : This one is just slightly bearable 'cos it's slightly uptempo and sung in that playful McCartney's way.

More I Cannot Wish You ( Loesser ) : Another yawn inducing recording. It's not so bad that I cannot bear listening to like his "Press To Play" album. It's just boring bad. Maybe I'll put it on just so that I can have some music in the background.

The Glory Of Love ( Hill ) : Just slightly better. At least I can hear some melody somewhere. The guitar playing is glorious.

We Three [ My Echo, My Shadow And Me ] ( Mysels / Roberson / Cogane ) :  I can tolerate this one too. Am I beginning to get the grip of things here. Laid back and comfortably seated with a wine and a love one on a sofa. You can't go wrong with this song.

Ac - Cent - Tchu - Ate The Positive ( Arlen / Mercer ) : I don't about the rest but this track strangely reminds me slightly of 'The Bare Necessities' from " The Jungle Book."

My Valentine ( McCartney ) : The first original track and I wouldn't have thought it was written by Paul cos it could just blend in with the rest. I could live with this. Definitely one of the better track and shows that Paul is ever so versatile.

Always ( Berlin ) : Irving Berlin was a legendary writers of many fine so
ngs but somehow I don't think this was one of them. Boring.

My Very Good Friend, The Milkman ( Spina / Burke ) : This is a slightly uptempo track, the type  which I like so I am okay with this track.

Bye Bye Blackbird ( Henderson / Dixon ) : Ringo Starr did this song on his first solo album "Sentimental Album." I can't really recall Ringo's version but Paul's version here just about sent me to slumber land. I may just fall asleep holding the CD cover in my hand.

Get Yourself Another Fool ( Henry / Tucker ) : On a good day I may like this but when I am hot and bothered, I don' t think I can tolerate this.

The Inch Worm ( Loesser ) : Not much different from the rest but this one I can take. Maybe I'm a sucker for the backing choirs or maybe dying for a change of pace.

Only Our Hearts ( McCartney ) : The second original track and a slight breath of fresh air. I sure hope Paul goes back to writing his own songs on his next album.

Baby's Request ( McCartney ) : I've always have a soft spot for this Wings' number from his "Back To The Egg" album. Paul sang in the same laid back style as the songs here but no less appealing. In true Beatles style there's a short bouncy instrumental piece nearing the end of the song. Still love it but of course the original was better.

My One And Only Love ( Mellin / Wood ) : The last song and and I heaving a sign of relief that the disc is finally over. Think it'll be a while before I put on this again.

20th February 2012.






No comments:

Post a Comment